Friday, March 18, 2011

The Wait Continues

I just thought I'd give everyone a quick update on the progress of the law school application. I received a polite email from Texas Wesleyan with a log in ID and password to monitor the status of my application which I promptly used. At the time I put in my application, LSAC had not yet sent in my credentials report as they were waiting on a couple of my recommendation letters to come in. Those came in this week, and I checked the TW site for any updates. Nothing. They are still saying my application is incomplete, but they do provide a contact person and phone number to call with any questions. Which I tried calling. Only to find out that this week is Spring Break, and the school is closed.

Grumble. Curse. Glare.

So, I'm sure they will get right on my application when they get back to the office next week.

Or they'll be hearing from a very impatient prospective student. Technology has made us an impatient lot don't you think?

In other news, since my days as a work from home wage slave are numbered, I thought I'd take a minute to reflect on some of the fringe benefits that I will miss once I pass the bar and start fighting the good fight.

1) Everday being business casual.

2) Bathrobes and slippers being considered business casual.

3) Netflix.

4) My office romance doesn't involve a co-worker and is heartily encouraged by my spouse.

5) My boss being 900 miles away.

6) Knowing exactly who ate my pint of Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk in the freezer.

7) My office mates wearing fur coats and not having opposable thumbs.

8) Guns and ammunition within easy reach of my desk.

9) My commute lasting less than one minute and burns no fossil fuels (unless you consider flatulence from a 41 year old to be a fossil fuel).

10) Conference calls being taken in the backyard with a pitching wedge and a headset.

11) No one complaining if I take off my shoes and walk around barefoot.

12) If I want to take a nap during my lunch hour, doing so in the comfort of my own bed.

13) Shaving being optional.

14) Having the music cranked as loud as I want.

15) No thermostat wars.

16) My office being a mess and no one caring...okay, no one but The Queen caring.

17) Fur therapy anytime I want it...and sometimes that I don't.

18) Not worrying about catching the office illness de jour.

19) Cleaning my guns at work not causing a panic.

4 comments:

  1. those are some pretty positive fringe benies. is there a down side????

    As to your statement
    "Technology has made us an impatient lot, don't you think?"
    I was looking back over some chapters in A.W.Tozer's book The Pursuit of God. just before I read your post, and this kind of jumped out at me.
    "Important as it is that we recognize God working in us, I would yet warn against a too-great preoccupation with the thought. It is a sure road to sterile passivity. God will not hold us responsible to understand the mysteries of election, predestination and the divine sovereignty. The best and safest way to deal with these truths is to raise our eyes to God and in deepest reverence say, "O Lord, Thou knowest." Those things belong to the deep and mysterious Profound of God's omniscience. Prying into them may make theologians, but it will never make saints.

    Receptivity is not a single thing; it is a compound rather, a blending of several elements within the soul. It is an affinity for, a bent toward, a sympathetic response to, a desire to have. From this it may be gathered that it can be present in degrees, that we may have little or more or less, depending upon the individual. It may be increased by exercise or destroyed by neglect. It is not a sovereign and irresistible force which comes upon us as a seizure from above. It is a gift of God, indeed, but one which must be recognized and cultivated as any other gift if it is to realize the purpose for which it was given.

    Failure to see this is the cause of a very serious breakdown in modern evangelicalism. The idea of cultivation and exercise, so dear to the saints of old, has now no place in our total religious picture. It is too slow, too common. We now demand glamour and fast flowing dramatic action. A generation of Christians reared among push buttons and automatic machines is impatient of slower and less direct methods of reaching their goals. We have been trying to apply machineage methods to our relations with God. We read our :' chapter, have our short devotions and rush away, hoping to make up for our deep inward bankruptcy by attending another gospel meeting or listening to another thrilling story told by a religious adventurer lately returned from afar.

    The tragic results of this spirit are all about us. Shallow lives, hollow religious philosophies, the preponderance of the element of fun in gospel meetings, the glorification of men, trust in religious externalities, quasi-religious fellowships, salesmanship methods, the mistaking of dynamic personality for the power of the Spirit: these and such as these are the symptoms of an evil disease, a deep and serious malady of the soul.

    For this great sickness that is upon us no one person is responsible, and no Christian is wholly free from blame. We have all contributed, directly or indirectly, to this sad state of affairs. We have been too blind to see, or too timid to speak out, or too self-satisfied to desire anything better than the poor average diet with which others appear satisfied. To put it differently, we have accepted one another's notions, copied one another's lives and made one another's experiences the model for our own. And for a generation the trend has been downward. Now we have reached a low place of sand and burnt wire grass and, worst of all, we have made the Word of Truth conform to our experience and accepted this low plane as the very pasture of the blessed."

    sorry to be so long winded LOL just thought it interesting to have it mentioned in one day.:o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Daddy, if you wanted to do a guest post, all you had to do was ask.

    Downsides...let's see here:

    1) "Honey, I need you to come here and [insert unpleasant task here]."

    2) Social skills decline.

    3) Increased sensitivity to sunlight.

    4) No "snow days"

    5) AT&T DSL service

    6) You are the janitorial service

    7) Doorbells ring/dogs bark/deaf inlaws try to converse during conference calls

    8) It's too easy to work late.

    That's all I can think of right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Shepherd K, but if I would of done that I would have been plagiarizing..And I am not nearly smart enough, to be that eloquently wordy...LOL just thought it funny that you summed up quite nicely what I have been thinking about and what Tozer so eloquently stated...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Daddy, I have a feeling you're smarter than the average bear, eloquently wordy or not.

    ReplyDelete

I am not easily offended. Please feel free to express your opinions: good, bad or indifferent. Basically, the "Golden Rule" applies. You get what you give. Treat others like trash here, and your comments will be trashed accordingly. Rudeness and vulgarity will not be tolerated.