Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Freudian Slip - Mother In Law Style

So, I'm in the kitchen fixing The Queen her morning/mid afternoon porridge when the mother in law comes in to make coffee. As housemates go, the MIL is about as easy going as they come. Slightly insane but not overbearingly so.

Anyway, she mentioned that she was developing one of my headaches (I get the occasional skull crusher). Here is how the conversation developed from there:

MIL: I just want one cup of coffee because I'm getting one of your headaches.

Me: Well, your aspirin is right there (while pointing at the aspirin bottle on the kitchen counter next to the sink).

MIL: Did you say drink some beer?

Me: [blink, blink] What?

I have absolutely no idea how her brain translated "aspirin" to "beer", but it did. Then again, my MIL is notorious for "hearing" something totally off subject because her brain works somewhat off of normal.

6 comments:

  1. GunDiva, only if you drink enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I can't stand the stuff, it probably wouldn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GunDiva, it all depends on what you are drinking. If you are drinking typical American lager/pilsner style beers, I can't say that I blame you. Some of that stuff tastes like I would imagine rat urine would taste like. Give a nice German Heffeweizen or a Trappist Ale a try and see if your opinion doesn't change. If you like the taste of coffee, you'd probably enjoy Guinness Stout. If you ever find yourself in the Dallas area, I'll be happy to take you and RCC to the Flying Saucer or the Gingerman. Both venues have well over 100 beers on tap. If you can't find something you like there, you're not trying hard enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, us deaf folk have a bit of an excuse to claim that you suggested beer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, there's no excuse because beer is not a suggestion, it's an order.

    ReplyDelete

I am not easily offended. Please feel free to express your opinions: good, bad or indifferent. Basically, the "Golden Rule" applies. You get what you give. Treat others like trash here, and your comments will be trashed accordingly. Rudeness and vulgarity will not be tolerated.