1) "Never mistake activity for achievement." - John Wooden, former head coach of the UCLA basketball team.
One of these days, I need to get around to telling the story of Number 1 Follower and I getting his 4x4 Dodge Power Ram stuck in the mud...twice...in the same spot...on the same day. It was truly epic face palm material. The bottomline is that a lot of people spend a lot of their time doing busy work or spinning their wheels and getting exactly nothing done.
2) "If I were persecuted for my religion, I truly hope there would be enough evidence to convict me." - John Wooden
It's easy to say you are a believer in anything, but the reality of living by those beliefs is another matter entirely.
3) "If you're offered a seat on a rocket ship, you don't ask which seat. You just get on." - Eric Schmidt, CEO of Google.
There will come a time when you are offered an opportunity so fantastic that you just need to say thank you, shut up, sit down and hang on for the ride no matter how long or short that ride is.
4) A college degree doesn't make you smart, and a lack of one doesn't make you uneducated. - Daddy Hawk
I've been around more than my fair share of supposedly educated people (with college degrees and advanced degrees in some cases) who exhibited a complete lack of intelligence such to cause one to wonder whether they, in fact, had black mail photos on someone in the registrar's office. By contrast, some of the smartest and most talented people I've ever known never finished grade school much less college.
5) "When everyone is super, then no one will be." - Syndrome - The Incredibles
I would much rather you try your hardest and come home with a third place trophy (or last place ribbon for that matter) than for you and everyone else to be told you are all winners and receive the same reward just for showing up.