Thursday, December 30, 2010

Oh, The Insanity

Okay, so I wasn't expecting to write another post this year, but I just had to jump on this for a quick post about the absolute insanity (at least in my humble opinion) surrounding collector firearms. Specifically, a certain one of a kind, factory engraved 100TH Anniversary Colt 1911. I first heard about this little gem about a week ago over on Jay's blog MArooned.

At that time, the bidding was topped out at a measly $25,000. As of this moment, there have been 141 bids bumping the price up to $70,475.

????

Blink, Blink.

Yes, you read that right. Seventy THOUSAND dollars for ONE (albeit pretty) firearm. That will, in all likelihood, NEVER be shot.

And, it won't stop there. There is a little over 22 days left to bid on this little treasure. I feel confident in predicting that the bidding will go well over $100,000 for this piece of history. The sad truth is that this firearm will likely not even come close to the high water mark for collectible gun prices (some idiot retard paid over $1,000,000 for a rare German Luger in .45 a while back only to later sell it for about half that amount).

Again, I have to ask the infernal question: WHY??? Why for the love all that is holy and sane would ANYONE pay that much money for a firearm that they will never shoot. As a shooter, I just cannot comprehend the thought process behind this concept. If I had the money, I'd buy the thing and make a video of me shooting it so I could tell everyone how good (or bad) it works (and to royally piss off every other collector out there).

So, to the fool out there with TOO MUCH MONEY and NO SENSE who will eventually win the auction and take ownership of this fine pistol, I have one question for you: How does it shoot?

5 comments:

  1. I would prefer to shoot it also...


    just saying.....


    Happy New Year!!!!!!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's insane. I won't own a gun, no matter how pretty or "special", that I can't shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Daddy/GunDiva, I'm glad we see eye to eye on this. Makes me wonder about those "gold" plated bling pistols sold by Taurus, too. What are they thinking? I supposed that's for the gansta crowd who needs to be stylin' while bustin' a cap or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect that the problem here, as with most "collectibles" is the bidders with too many dollars, and not enough sense.
    I would want to make it go bang. And I won't pay NEAR that much to make anything go bang (with the exception of an assortment of foreign officials).

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill, I couldn't agree more. By the way, it's up to $82,075 with 18 days left on the bidding. I say we track down the winning bidder, pull this puppy off the shelf and shoot him in the butt with it for being a moron.

    ReplyDelete

I am not easily offended. Please feel free to express your opinions: good, bad or indifferent. Basically, the "Golden Rule" applies. You get what you give. Treat others like trash here, and your comments will be trashed accordingly. Rudeness and vulgarity will not be tolerated.