Well, it's official. We had our first semi-major boo boo involving M&M.
She is at that stage where she is climbing up on anything and everything she can reach. We were at The Queen's brother's place where there is a nifty bench next to the dining room table. M&M had succeeded and scrambling up on to the bench and was attempting to get a leg up on the table when The Queen and I (we were both otherwise occuppied in getting ready for the day) discovered the situation.
I said, "M&M No!" as I was dashing from the kitchen to the table.
That apparently spooked poor M&M who slid off the bench to the concrete slab floor where she landed semi-cat like on her tummy. She commenced to crying, and Daddy Hawk (feeling like a complete goober) picked her up to comfort her.
M&M had just snuggled into my shoulder for some Daddy comfort while sobbing pitifully when The Queen urgently said, "Give her to me!"
I said, "What?"
She more emphatically said, "Just give her!!"
Okay, okay...I can take a hint. I thought she was pissed at me until I glanced at my shoulder and noticed a half dollar sized red spot of M&M's blood on my dress shirt.
Somewhere on the slid down to the floor, M&M busted her lip open and was bleeding to beat the band.
Let me tell you, there is not much that will make you feel worse as a new father than seeing your child bleeding and feeling somewhat responsible for the situation.
All is well, though. No busted teeth, bruises or permanent damage. And...she still loves her daddy despite him being a moron.
Now, on to the advice:
1) "A bad marriage is a whole lot worse than no marriage at all." - David Burson, deceased.
Mr. Burson was the minister that counseled The Queen and I for marriage. He had some amazingly good insight into our relationship despite having only known us for a few months at the time we were counseling with him. He is also the minister most responsible for my spiritual awakening. I miss him a lot.
2) "The Truth of God is simple. Love God. Love your neighbor. How hard is that?" - David Burson, deceased.
That sentence more than any other brought home to me the full meaning of The Bible. When you really think about it, that pretty much sums up the Christian way of life.
3) “A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Robert Heinlein
RAH had a lot of good things to say that are worth listening to. He also had some ideas about sexuality that I don't necessarily endorse; but, then again, no one is perfect.
4) "99% of the women on the planet have no need for makeup. It won't help the other 1% one bit." - Daddy Hawk
As an aside, it tastes funny too.
5) "Showing everyone your belly button at age 16 months is cute and adorable. Showing the world your belly button at age 16 years will get you grounded." - Daddy Hawk
There really is no need for that, and it's not wise to make Daddy Hawk's trigger finger twitchy.