Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Faith and Other Assorted Spiritual Thoughts

I tend to keep my spiritual beliefs to myself being a private person; but, here lately, I've been rethinking that position. I don't intend to proselytize here for any specific brand of faith as it is my firm belief that everyone (even athiests whether they realize it or not) are on their own spiritual journey and need to grow in the direction that the Diety of their choosing sees fit to lead them. Having said that, I no longer intend to shy away from sharing my thoughts about my own spiritual walk and how it shapes my outlook on life. 

For those that care, we are non-denominational, Sabbath keeping, "apostolic" Christians. We are part of a church that teaches several things that fall outside of "traditional, mainstream" Christianity; however, we still believe in the Divinity of Christ, His death and resurrection, and His soon coming return which puts us on the same page with most people walking that general direction. What throws most people for a loop is we do not keep Easter, Halloween or Christmas but we do keep the Old Testament holy days.

I found this meme recently which struck a chord with me, and I wanted to share it outside the usual Friday Funnies chuckle fest. 


This concept, in my humble opinion, is where many well meaning believers go wrong (and it applies equally to other faiths...I'm looking at you radical Islam). New converts to a particular flavor of faith tend to be the worst about this (I've guilty of it myself in times past). It's also had a terribly polarizing influence on American politics on both the Republican and Democratic Parties. Prohibition laws (of all flavors) are a perfect example of this. Don't like (insert social ill here)? Don't drink it, smoke it, do it. As long as no one else is harmed in the process...you do you. Just don't ask me to approve of it. 

But Daddy Hawk, what about (something you think is utterly evil that has direct/indirect impact on others beyond the person using/doing said evil)? Shouldn't we protect (fill in your favorite helpless, defense less entity or object here)? I would agree that "we" collectively as a species should do a better job on a variety of issues. Here's the rub though: human nature makes us a stubborn, hypocritical lot that just wants to do what we want to do regardless of consequences. Murder has been outlawed since practically the beginning of time in every society that has existed (more or less...I'm sure there exceptions to the rule). Guess what? It still happens everyday. 

You want to solve the murder problem (or alcoholism or drug abuse or...)? It starts with you. Live the life your faith says you are supposed to live everyday and not just on the day you go worship. Live by example, and teach your kids to do the same. Volunteer somewhere and help others see you living your faith. You might just learn a thing or two in the process and reach a deeper understanding of your own faith.

This next one tickled me especially after the last 3 or so years of dealing with multiple issues and crises. It feels sometimes like God is sitting on a sofa somewhere drinking a beer looking at me and saying "Hit him again."



God (or Ever God in Heaven as M&M says), I do not wish that someone else go through trials but could I have a break? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am not easily offended. Please feel free to express your opinions: good, bad or indifferent. Basically, the "Golden Rule" applies. You get what you give. Treat others like trash here, and your comments will be trashed accordingly. Rudeness and vulgarity will not be tolerated.