Tuesday, December 7, 2021

How In The Heck...?

M&M and I were out walking the dogs this afternoon when we spotted this seriously abused Jeep Rubicon in the parking lot. No, it does not belong to me or anyone I know. I have no idea what the story is, but I'm intensely curious to know. It's too clean to be a 4 wheeling, hold my beer and watch this incident. The hood damage suggests that it got wedged underneath something, but the ride height on the Rubi with those wheels and the suspension upgrades rules out quite a few options. 



Sheering the front axle on a 4 wheel drive vehicle takes a fair bit of force and maybe a little air? Perhaps the driver was head down in a phone when the vehicle launched at speed from a dip in the road?


 Given the state of the new and used car market right now and the lack of damage to the rear, they might just try to repair that sucker. 

4 comments:

  1. The best way to break an axle in two is indeed "getting air". Must have lost control after trashing the front end and hit something large also.

    There is no shortage of aftermarket parts for Wranglers including new axles. With the resale value of Jeep Wrangler being one of the highest of all used vehicles repairing this will probably be the plan....if not for the owner than for someone seeking to salvage it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daniel, I haven't looked closely at the Rubicon trucks yet to know whether or not they would fulfill my needs, but I am a Jeep fan (having experience with 3 Grand Cherokees before Jeep stopped making them off road worthy vehicles). I'd be interested in it as a project if the price were right.

      Delete
  2. Jeep all show and blow all over the road. Used to be and may still be the vehicle with the highest rollover propensity being then considered the most dangerous vehicle. I will never own a chrysler product and quit chevrolet when they killed innocent people with a tiny flaw in the key/ignition area causing contact to be lost and no engine power killing with no steering control.

    I worked for GM for 10 years. Wife owned a jeep cherokee, always little problems and 1 rattle a good mechanic found a few years later.

    Chrysler, in the 90's had trucks that would lose power to all lights including head lights and still drive down the road at night. I over saw 6 dropped off at the dealer product complaints. They never issued a recall and over a year later finally solved the problem by ripping out the whole wiring harness and replacing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BearClaw, I hear you. That's been the knock (no pun intended) on Chrysler products for as long as I can remember. Great motors and decent transmissions wrapped in a chassis that MIGHT make it to the end of the loan before disintergrating. The 4.0L I6 in the Cherokee / Grand Cherokee is pretty stout though. Most SUVs have pretty crappy rollover characteristics. I recall the Suzuki Samurai of the 80s and 90s as being The Devil's own tumbling roller skate though.

      Delete

I am not easily offended. Please feel free to express your opinions: good, bad or indifferent. Basically, the "Golden Rule" applies. You get what you give. Treat others like trash here, and your comments will be trashed accordingly. Rudeness and vulgarity will not be tolerated.